¡Hola! Boy this has been quite a week. I got here and it has been a complete 180! Our pentciòn (apartment) is small but just what we need. The mission has started people! It is real!
Elder Aldave (my trainer from Peru who speaks very little in English) and I are white washing our area. White washing means that missionaries have not been in this area and we are both new to the area. My first area is "Acevedo" It is hard but good. I will need it to kick my butt into shape. It is the Banfield Stake right in the City of Buenos Aires. There are 5 million people in my mission boundaries and our mission had 75 baptisms last month! My area is the rich and the slums. Also the houses do not have addresses.
I taught my very first lesson and I had my first Investigator breast feed! This is not something I am used to, and I mention this because my Dad had this same experience on his mission on his very first lesson as a missionary in Dominican Republic. I guess some things don’t change.
I have tried Mate (Argentine Herbal Drink), Pizza, Sandwich de Mila, and a lot of other stuff I have no Idea what it is, but you eat it with a smile. 😊
One of the other Elders from the CCM that had some of my stuff for me took off after meeting our trainers, but he is a nice Elder that will bring it back for Zone Conference. I was allowed two suitcases 50 lbs. each and a carryon that could only be 17 lbs. If I was over the weight, I would be fined $250. We weren’t flying Delta.
My two suitcases were 49 lbs. each and my carry on was 37 lbs. To make things even more interesting the Mexico City CCM gave each missionary 22 pounds of books so it was difficult for me to bring everything for two years that included winter clothes, a sleeping bag and big black muck boots in two suitcases. Thankfully there was a missionary that brought one suitcase, so he took my carry on and checked it as his second piece and some of my other items went in other suitcases.
This was a challenge for all 16 missionaries, but we all helped each other out. We were all grateful that all of our items made it to Argentina, and I don’t plan to bring much of this stuff home.
I would like to end on a good and spiritual note. I ask that you all read your scriptures with a purpose. By studying the scriptures for something specific not only helps you personally but helps you build a relationship with your Savior. Keep praying and studying your scriptures.
Sorry I didn’t have a lot of time this week, but I want you all to know I love you and I feel your prayers back at home.
No comments:
Post a Comment